Steel Structure Application
For large-span structures, the advantages of light-weight steel structures are particularly prominent.
High rise buildings have the advantages of high strength and light weight.
In recent years, ordinary industrial buildings have also adopted a large number of steel structures.
The movable structure can give full play to the light weight of the steel structure.
Construction and steel trestle bridges, mobile exhibition halls, mobile platforms, etc.
It is very helpful for some urgent projects.
What are the applications of steel structures?
Steel structure is often used in various engineering structures and is an important structural form widely used in various projects. The reasonable application range of steel structure is generally as follows:
1. Large span structure. As the span of the structure increases, the proportion of the self-weight of the structure in the total load is also larger, and the reduction of the self-weight can obtain obvious economic benefits. For large-span structures, the advantages of light steel structures are particularly prominent. The gymnasium with a capacity of 80,000 people in Shanghai, China is an oval-shaped building with a spatial steel roof structure composed of radial cantilever lattices and circumferential trusses. The long axis is 288.4m, the short axis is 274.4m, and the maximum cantilever span of the roof is 73.5m. The China Runyang Yangtze River Bridge was completed and opened to traffic in 2005. The main bridge in Nanhan is a single-hole double-hinged steel box girder suspension bridge with a main span of 1490m.
2. High-rise buildings. High-rise buildings have become a symbol of modern cities. High rise buildings have the advantages of high strength and light weight. If the strength is high, the section size of the component will be small, which can increase the effective usable area; the light weight can greatly reduce the load on the component, foundation and foundation, and reduce the cost of foundation engineering. Among the 50 tallest buildings in the world today, steel structures and steel-concrete hybrid structures account for more than 80%. Completed in 1974, the Sears Tower in New York has a total of 110 floors and a total height of 443m. It is an all-steel structure building.
3. Industrial buildings. When the span and column spacing of industrial buildings are large, or large-tonnage cranes are installed, and the structure needs to bear large dynamic loads, steel structures are often used in part or in whole system. In order to shorten the construction period and give full play to the investment benefits as soon as possible, in recent years, ordinary industrial buildings have also adopted a large number of steel structures.
4. Light structure. A structure with a small load or a small span is called a light structure. Self-weight is the main load of this type of structure, and light steel structures made of cold-formed thin-walled steel or small steel are often used.
5. High rise building. Such as towers and masts, their height is large, the cross-sectional size of the components is small, wind loads and earthquakes often play a major role, and the self-weight has a greater impact on the structure, so steel structures are often used.
6. Active structure. Such as hydraulic steel gates, ship lifts, etc., can give full play to the characteristics of light weight of steel structures, reduce the cost of opening and closing equipment and the power consumed by operation.
7. Detachable or movable structure. Such as construction and steel trestle bridges, mobile exhibition halls, mobile platforms, etc., can play the advantages of light weight, easy transportation and installation of steel structures.
8. Vessels and large diameter pipes. Such as liquid (gas) tanks, transportation (oil, gas, raw material) pipelines, hydraulic pressure pipelines, etc.
9. Structures with high seismic requirements in earthquake zones.
10. It is very helpful for some urgent projects. This type of project can take advantage of the short construction period of the steel structure, light weight and easy transportation.